Mittwoch, 1. Oktober 2014

Good times in Auckland

After spending quite an amazing week in Sydney, I was curious was Auckland would be like. I have to be honest: The pictures I saw of the city centre did not really impress me so I thought I might stay a bit out of the city for the first days. Joey made that possible for me!
It was my fourth flight and I imagined it would not be so nice like the ones before, but I cannot actually remember much. I even almost slept through the take-off which was nice because time passed so quickly. Auckland did not wait with nice weather for me, but Joey made everything so much brighter by picking me up from the airport and inviting me for the nicest curry I had ever tasted. Yummy! I felt so at home at his place and we had a long chat in the evening which I really appreciated after doing small-talk for quite a while. We had a typical, pink New Zealand chocolate with millions and thousands of sugar sprinkles, chili chocolate and white chocolate which Joey thought was like velvet. How right he was.


Nachdem ich doch eine wirklich schöne Woche in Sydney verbracht hatte, war ich aufgeregt, wie es mir wohl in Auckland gefallen würde. Ich bin ehrlich: Die Fotos, die ich von der Innenstadt gesehen hatte, haben mich nicht wirklich vom Hocker gehauen. Deswegen wollte ich zuerst etwas abseits von der Stadt sein und dank Joey hat das auch geklappt.
Das war jetzt mein vierter Flug und ich hatte das Gefühl, dass er nicht so angenehm wie die Flüge davor sein würde. Im Endeffekt erinnere ich mich nicht an viel. sogar den Start habe ich fast verschlafen. In Auckland wartete kein gutes Wetter auf mich, aber Joey hat meinen Abend gerettet, indem er mich vom Flughafen abgeholt und mich zum besten Curry überhaupt eingeladen hat. Lecker! Ich habe mich bei ihm so wohl gefühlt und wir haben wirklich bis in die Nacht geredet. Das war ein gutes Gefühl, nachdem die meisten Konversationen vorher hauptsächlich aus Smalltalk bestanden. Wir haben so viele verschiedene Sorten Schokolade probiert: typische, pinke, neuseeländische Schokolade mit unglaublich vielen Streuseln, Chilischokolade und weiße Lindt-Schoki, die einfach nur himmlisch auf der Zunge zerfloss.





During the next day I got to meet Chris who travels the world to write about haunted places. Isn’t that an amazing mission? I was taking photographs of Joey’s amazing view when we first met. I do really appreciate meeting so many great people. Joey made pancakes or “crumpets“ for us and in the evening we got introduced to quite an important part of New Zealand and South African culture - rugby. Joey made Chris and me support the South African team. I just figured out what rugby was all about by the end of the game, but the evening was real fun, especially together with Chris. And the food, oh my gosh, the food. Fantastical (mixture of fantastic and magical).
Chris put a lot of effort into teaching me the word “ditch“, basically by putting her car into the ditch in front of Joeys house twice and afterwards into the mud - I will never ever forget that word again. I wish it would always be so much fun to learn a language, but that is really not a convenient thing to do just to teach someone a new word!

Am nächsten Tag traf ich auf Chris. Sie bereist die Welt, um dann über verlassene, gruselige Spukplätze zu schreiben. Ist das nicht eine geniale Idee? Ich schätze es wirklich sehr, so viele tolle Menschen kennenzulernen. Joey hat Pancakes für uns gemacht und abends hat er uns zu seinen südafrikanischen Freunden mitgenommen, um Rugby zu schauen. Südafrika gegen Neuseeland. Wir sollten das südafrikanische Team unterstützen. Ich bin mir aber nicht wirklich sicher, ob wir eine große Hilfe waren. Trotzdem war der Abend war auf jeden Fall sehr schön und lustig, vor allem zusammen mit Chris. Als das sich das Spiel dem Ende zuneigte, hatte ich endlich einigermaßen begriffen, wie Rugby abläuft. Und, oh Gott, das Essen. Einfach nur lecker.

 
My next mission was to stay in Devonport for a few days and to get some things done, like my IRD number and my bank account. It is pretty convenient to get there by ferry. Andrea, who moved from Switzerland to New Zealand 5 years ago, helped me a lot. She made an amazing veggie lasagne for me and we ended up having it 2 evenings in a row because it was so good. I cannot really believe how much delicious food I get to eat here! There is also a french café in Devonport and I had some really nice coffee there. By the way, I started drinking coffee in New Zealand! A french couple arrived at Andrea’s place after a few days and we did a very nice walk around Devonport - along two beaches, one of them Cheltenham Beach, and up North Head. North Head and Mount Victoria were both important for the navy. From there, I got to take great photos of Devonport and the city centre. I will let the pictures speak.

Nun stand Devonport auf dem Programm. Dort leben ziemlich viele wohlhabende Leute und man merkt den Unterschied zu den anderen Vororten. Es ist wirklich schön in Devonport. An meinem ersten Abend hat Andrea eine vegetarische Lasagne gemacht, die so gut war, dass wir sie gleich noch einmal am nächsten Abend gemacht haben. Manchmal kann ich es nicht fassen, wie viel gutes Essen ich hier probieren darf! Ich habe ein paar bürokratische Dinge in Devonport erledigt und lernte Tina und Hafid, ein französisches Pärchen, kennen. Sie reisen seit Januar und haben sogar ihr eigenes Projekt gestartet. Zusammen haben wir einen langen Spaziergang durch Devonport gemacht, über zwei Strände und hoch auf North Head. Dabei konnte ich wirklich schöne Fotos machen:







Thanks to Joey, Chris, Andrea and Kerry for being part of my first week in Auckland - I feel honoured to call you my friends now. I really appreciate what you did for me. You made the start of my adventure in New Zealand so unbelievably easy and amazing. I hope to keep in touch with you the whole time and hopefully after I will have left New Zealand!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen