Freitag, 3. Oktober 2014

Good times in Auckland 2

My early return from Great Barrier Island meant that I could spend even more time in Auckland. Luckily, I was not very seasick on the ferry this time, but I missed the dolphins once again. The next day, Kerry had a vegetarian tea party at her house and we spent the day preparing and baking which was awesome! I got to bake my favourite cake, a red wine chocolate cake, and I am very proud that I managed to mix it without a whisk or a beater and only with a fork and my own muscle power. Kerry made a divine lemon and passionfruit yogurt cake and we had plenty of sandwiches. Her friends brought even more delicious food like vegetarian sausage rolls and fairy cupcakes. Mhm, what a great evening it was!

Ich hatte jetzt noch ein wenig mehr Zeit in Auckland, weil ich schon früher von Great Barrier Island zurückgefahren bin. Dieses Mal war ich nicht besonders seekrank, aber die Delfine habe ich trotzdem wieder verpasst. Am nächsten Tag hat Kerry eine vegetarische Teeparty bei sich veranstaltet und wir haben den ganzen Tag über fleißig vorbereitet und gebacken. Ich konnte meinen Lieblingskuchen, Rotweinkuchen, backen und bin sehr stolz, es ganz ohne Handrührgerät geschafft zu haben und nur mit einer Gabel und meiner eigenen Muskelkraft! Kerry hat einen himmlisch guten Maracuja-Zitronen-Joghurt-Kuchen gemacht und wir haben viele Sandwiches vorbereitet. Ihre Freunde haben auch viel leckeres Essen mitgebracht - es war wirklich ein toller Abend.

On Tuesday, I decided it was time to explore a bit more of the city. Kerry even made me some lunch - I do not how long it has been since someone has made lunch for me. So sweet of her! I started walking down Queen Street and then I realized that my Lonely Planet walking tour actually started at the other end where I had just come from so I just did it the other way around. It led me to very beautiful buildings and I saw a lot of graduates in Albert Park. Just have a look at the photos.

Am Dienstag habe ich etwas mehr von Auckland erkundet. In meinem Lonely Planet war eine 4,5km lange „walking tour“ abgebildet, die ich rückwärts angegangen bin. Ich lasse mal einfach die Fotos für sich sprechen:

The Clock Tower of the University

Town Hall


Wynyard Quarter (where I left for Great Barrier Island)
 
I wanted to see either One Tree Hill or Mount Eden. On my map, it seemed like Mount Eden would not be too far from the city centre so I decided I wanted to have my lunch on the top. It would be a good opportunity to continue Katja’s and my attempt to walk as much as possible while doing sightseeing. The first challenge was that I could not see Mount Eden and I was just hoping to be walking in the right direction. It seemed to be a longer walk than I had expected, but then I finally arrived at the bottom of Mount Eden. I have to admit I have already been pretty exhausted and walking up was another challenge. Hey, I mean I did it. Even though I doubted my decison several times. I got rewarded: That was the best lunch I have had in a long time with the best city views.

Lonely Planet suggerierte mir, dass Mount Eden nicht allzu weit vom Stadtzentrum entfernt sein sollte, also beschloss ich, dass ich meinen Lunch ganz oben auf Mount Eden haben möchte. Getreu Katjas und meinem Motto, möglichst viel Sightseeing zu Fuß zu machen. Mal davon abgesehen, dass ich nicht wusste, ob ich wirklich in die richtige Richtung gehe und eigentlich dauerhaft daran gezweifelt habe - irgendwann war ich dann da und musste "nur" noch den Weg zum Gipfel auf mich nehmen. Puh - diese Brotzeit hatte ich mir wirklich verdient und ich wurde mit dem besten Ausblick über die Stadt belohnt. 


Mount Eden volcano with city views

My amazing lunch, also with city views
 
While walking down, I took a different path than I had taken before and it seemed to be kind of a big detour. I was very glad when I finally came to an area with electronic bus signs again. This time I just used the Sky Tower as my orientation. It took me even longer than before, but was definitely worth it! I felt very proud when I arrived in the city centre again and the whole walk felt like good physical exercise for me again. In the evening, I joined Kerry for a surprise birthday party for one of her friends and met heaps of people there. One of them, Hayley, studies nutrition and could give me some valuable advice for my stomach problems. We had some divine food: chili chocolate ice cream that tasted like normal chocolate ice cream at first and then burned down your throat. We even got goosebumps! It inspired Kerry to make her own ice cream soon. It was an awesome evening!

Auf meinem Weg zurück in die Stadt muss ich einen großen Umweg gegangen sein, meine einzige Orientierung war der Sky Tower, aber immerhin besser als bei meinem Hinweg. Mensch war ich froh, als ich wieder elektronische Bustafeln gesehen habe. Am Abend waren Kerry und ich auf einer Überraschungsparty für einen Freund von ihr. Es gab mal wieder himmlisch gutes Essen und ich habe so viele tolle Leute getroffen. Das Chilli-Schokoladen-Eis war unglaublich gut mit Gänsehaut-Garantie. Was für ein weiterer toller Abend!

I was introduced to my favourite café in New Zealand so far: Little Bird in Ponsonby. We met up with Craig and his couchsurfer there and I had again a divine raw vegan passionfruit cheesecake and a raw vegan caramel slice I shared with Kerry - fantastical and divine food they offer there. I still cannot get over the fact how good it was. They even serve your drink with a flower petal. I wish I had my camera with me! That will not be my last visit at Little Bird. Our attempt to have some dumplings in the evening failed because the place had already run out of vegetarian dumplings that evening - so our dumpling mission had to be continued.

Das Highlight des nächsten Tages war ein Maracuja Käsekuchen in einem „raw and vegan“ Café und eine Karamellschnitte - so unbeschreiblich gut. Genau so etwas fehlt in Regensburg noch. Sie servieren ihre Getränke sogar mit einer Blüte. Hätte ich doch nur meine Kamera dabeigehabt. Kerry wollte, dass ich dumplings probiere, aber an diesem Abend waren sie leider aus. Dann eben am nächsten Abend!

It was finally time to see the Buddhist Temple which Kerry wanted to show me. After a little detour, we walked up to the temple and had a very mindful time there meditating for a while. I had never done it in a temple before and really enjoyed this experience. There were also nice short walks around the temple from where you had a great view of the surrounding area. I loved being there.
Afterwards, we went to Orewa Beach and I got the first change to walk barefoot in New Zealand! Such a great feeling of the wet sand under my feet. Once again, we had lunch with a magnificent view of the beach. We were able to finish the dumpling mission that evening - Kerry brought them home after work along with her favourite potato and cucumber salad. I felt so spoilt with divine food this week and I got to meet so many amazing people. It could not have been better!

Wir haben es endlich geschafft, den buddhistischen Tempel in Nordauckland zu besuchen. Dort haben wir ein paar Stunden damit verbracht, zu meditieren und einen Spaziergang zu machen. Bisher habe ich noch nicht in einem Tempel meditiert und ich habe es wirklich genossen.
Danach sind wir noch zum Orewa Beach und ich konnte endlich mal meine Schuhe im Auto lassen. Der nasse Sand unter meinen Füßen war ein tolles Gefühl. Der Tag wurde dann noch perfekt, als Kerry Dumplings und ihre zwei Lieblingssalate mit nach Hause brachte. Eine Woche voll mit gutem Essen und großartigen Leuten - es hätte nicht besser laufen können!






Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen